Monday 23 April 2012

Musculoskeletal (short term)

The musculoskeletal system is made up of muscles and bones:
The joints are two bones that are connected together by ligaments and make the skeleton flexible.
When doing everyday things the muscles pull on the joints allowing it to move.
Tendons connect the muscle to the bone.
-Muscles move body parts by contracting and then relaxing, the muscles can pull the bones but they can't push them back to their original position which is why they work in pairs of flexors and extenders (for every muscle in the body, there is an opposite e.g triceps straightens arm and biceps bend arm). The flexing muscle contracts which allows the limb to bend at the joint then the flexor relaxes and the extender contracts so the limb can straighten back out.

To measure my muscular skeletal system I did the Sit'n'reach because its the only thing that can really show me how flexible my muscles and skeleton is.
I measured how flexible I was before any exercise , I could reach to 36
After doing some exercise on the trampoline and using my joints alot I tested again and had improved by 2, my partner also increased in her result.
The reason why we both increased in our results after exercise was because when we exercise, our muscles work by sliding fibres across each other which makes the muscles get warmer and more loose, as I reached forward my abdominal got smaller allowing my erector spinae to get longer.

The fibres that are sliding aross eachother cause friction, the friction causes tiny tears in the muscles which then repair them self bigger and stronger ( this doesnt show an immidiate result, that is how muscles are built up over time) because the fibres in the  muscles in the part of the body that is being used are tearing, that muscle becomes weaker and starts to ache. That is why some people take steroids (because sterios stop the muscles from aching which means that person can continue to use it.)

Red and white meats:

Red meats- Cow, Lamb, duck
White meats- chciken, turkey, rabbit

They are classified as red and white meat because of the colour of their meat due to how active that animal usually is, white meats tend to get alot of exercise making their meat less fatty and more healthy for you whereas red meats such a cows always tend to be standing still or sitting down.

No comments:

Post a Comment